My Sudden Cardiac Arrest story... I was only 25 years old

Hi, my name is Anna and I am ready to share my cardiac arrest experience with you.
I am currently 26 years old living with an internal defibrillator/pacemaker.
According to many health professionals, I am a fighter.

At the age of 3, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer. I was treated with radiation and chemotheraphy at BC Children's Hospital. I have been in remission every since. I continue to go for follow ups just to make sure everything is okay.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prior to the incident, I was 25 years old. A healthy,fit, and active young female. I was working full time as a Licensed Practical Nurse and planning my wedding. No one could have imagined that anything was wrong with me. I ate healthy, exercised everyday,  didn't smoke, or do drugs and drank alcohol occasionally. I was very motivated to stay healthy because I wanted to look perfect on my wedding day.

In late of September 2011, I had an emotional breakdown. A lot of stress was building up on me from Family, Friendship, Work and the Wedding. One night, I had a faint like experience. According to my fiance (at that time), I collapsed on to my bed, my eyes were rolled back, my body was seizure like and I was breathing heavily. The last thing I remembered was talking on the phone and then all of a sudden I was dreaming. In my dream I could hear my fiance calling out my name, "Anna! Anna! Anna!". I woke up hyperventilating and having chest pain. My fiance was beside me calling 911. A minute later, the paramedics and fire fighters were in my bedroom. They took me to the hospital, however the doctors could not figure out what had happened to me. In one night, I had a pregnancy test, blood test, ECG, and a CT Scan. Everything was normal so I was sent home. A week later, I saw a Neurologist. I did some tests with her and it turned out I did not have a seizure. Since everything was normal I just carried on with my life and went back to my normal routine.


On November 3, 2011 I had a Cardiac Arrest.

I was following my normal daily routine: Work, Gym, Home; however this time I didn't get to go home. After work I usually go to the YMCA Langara Gym. Hop on to the eliptical, treadmill then do some weight training. Because of my cardiac arrest I don't have any memory of this. The last thing that I remember was getting into my car after work and thanking my manager for buying us pizza for lunch. The next thing I know, I woke up in a hospital bed with my fiance right beside me.

According to the staff at YMCA and my doctors, I was on the eliptical and then I fainted. I banged my head on to the floor and was unconscious. The life guards came and started performing CPR on me. They had to use an AED (automated external defibrillator) because I was having a cardiac arrest. My heart stopped for 4 minutes.

After the life guards resusitated me, I was conscious when the paramedics came and took me to the hospital. When I was in the hospital the doctors put me in an induced coma for a few days.  I had every machine hooked up to my body from IV's to respiratory ventilators. Basically, I was on life support. After I woke up from a coma, I was in and out of sleep. I was on many medications as well. My family and friends came to see me everyday. My fiance was by my bedside from the time I woke up until I fell asleep everyday. I was seen by various doctors trying to figure out why I had a cardiac arrest. More testings were done: blood work, ECG, ECHO, MRI. Nothing was found.

On November 10, 2011, my cardiologists decided to implant a defibrillaor/pacemaker into my chest so that if I ever had another cardiac arrest I will be saved. The next day, I was omitted from the hospital. I came home with a weak body, some memory loss & a machine inside my body along with a scar on my chest.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 18, 2012.
'Til this very day the doctors still have not found a reasoning behind my cardiac arrest. I have gone back to my cardiologists for a Stress Test and an induced epinephrine test. I am currently doing a genetics test to see if I have Long QT syndrome. Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

Here is a link for the definition of Long QT syndrome: http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3484075/k.F8EF/Heart_disease__What_is_Long_QT_Syndrome.htm



On the bright side, I got married on May 05, 2012! I am so thankful/grateful for being alive today and for the life guards who had the knowledge of using an AED to save my life. This definitely shows the importance of having an AED in the community and knowing how to use it and perform CPR.

After this event, I have decided to share my story with everyone and spread awareness.

These life guards were awarded the Vital Links Award by the BC Ambulance Services. Here is the link to the article: http://www.bcas.ca/EN/main/news/newsArchive/2012-archive/vancouvervitallink_feb22.html

This is a picture of me at the Vital Links Award ceremony hosted by Superintendent Bruce Harford.


My husband and I on our Wedding Day May 05, 2012.
( Can you see the scar on my left chest?)

My ICD/Pacemaker (Implantable cardioverter defibrillator)

Popular Posts