It took 1 year to diagnose me after my Sudden Cardiac Arrest

November 26, 2012.

After 1 year of testings, I am finally diagnosed. I can't believe it took this long but I am quite relieved to know why I had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest.

I am diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome based on my cardiac assessments and clinical history.

Long QT Syndrome is a genetic condition that affects the hearts electrical system.  Although the genetic testing that I did was not able to find the genetic cause of my Long QT syndrome, I am that rare 25% of people with the condition that has a normal genetic test result.

I have mixed feelings about this because there are a lot of lifestyle changes that have been/need to be made to reduce the risk of having another episode. Therefore, with the help of the Heart and Stroke Foundation I will be forming a support group for Young Sudden Cardiac Arrest Survivors in the Vancouver lower mainland of British Columbia.

A couple of months ago I made a video with Health Partners and the Heart & Stroke Foundation to help spread awareness for Suddden Cardiac Arrests and advocate for Automated External Defibrillators:

http://youtu.be/9iR08Me4doY

Resources:
heartandstroke.com
HealthPartners.ca
sads.ca
qtdrugs.org




Popular Posts